Monday, June 9, 2008

Soloing Shadowfang Keep

I went on Tshaya to check some auctions I'd put up last week and do a gear check — if I'm going to transfer her (and I am, probably to Ravenholdt), I want to make sure her gear isn't incredibly embarassing — and noticed she had on the grey Rawhide Shoulders. Ideale at that level had the Rugged Spaulders from Shadowfang Keep, and since I'd soloed the courtyard on my paladin at 27 to get Verigan's Fist, I knew I could get past Rethilgore as a level 30 hunter.

So I went off, with 8 bottles of nectar and half a quiver of arrows, to down Rethilgore quickly and return to Darkshire.

Only then, I got through Rethilgore and thought, "Well, I still have about 1000 arrows, if I go slow maybe I can make it to Fenrus. My cloak kind of sucks." And so I went slow and made it through Fenrus, and I still had a few hundred arrows, and figured, "What the hell, let's see how far I can get."

Tshaya downed Arugal with 30 arrows to spare. And she also managed to stumble across the rare Deathsworn Captain, and got a VERY nice two-handed sword. And only one wipe on a bad pull — we got mobbed by three haunted servitors and two tormented guards, and died on the last one.

Screenshots to follow — I really, really need to shell out for Photoshop Elements, at least.

But yes, as a level 30 hunter, Shadowfang Keep is entirely soloable. And the spaulders at least are better than what you can get elsewhere at this level. Oh, and for the enchanters? Plenty of green loot drops, and I made out with three large glimmering shards on cloth blues I couldn't use.

And since I skipped the Deadmines on Tshaya — I tried to go in a few times, but kept ending up in awful groups and never made it farther than Sneed — the leather drops were decent upgrades.

Loot bagged:
- Rugged Spaulders
- Haunting Blade
- Fenrus' Hide

Plus a bunch of cloth gear I sharded. This instance would be awesome for a clothie.

And the best part? It was incredibly fun. I'm kind of wondering what Ideale could solo at 62, now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your 62 hunter could solo almost any of the Azeroth 5-man content. Anywhere where you can control the pulls sufficiently and you should be fine. Anything from say SM-arms down, your pet could solo :P

Get some more outlands gear and a few levels and places like scholo will be doable as well.

As a general rule, Locks and Hunters can make a fair go at soloing instances once 5 levels past the highest level mobs within. Other classes should wait till 8-10 levels higher, though maybe pallies can go a bit earlier.

SFK is not warlock friendly though. Lots of shadow and magic immune mobs in there!

You mentioned that you'd tried a lock but not got very far with it? The class has a dry patch around level 8 to 14-ish where the imp minion is too weak and the voidwalker is fairly unimpressive. By 15+ though, you have spells to keep the tank alive and are pumping out the damage a lot better. Like hunters, a well played lock shouldn't be taking much melee damage. Affliction-spec warlocks are the energiser battery class... they just keep going and going and going! DOT DOT Fear. OOM? no problem. life tap, then drain life. I very rarely use my shadowbolt at all... its too long to cast! The Voidy and Succy pets are not quite as good as the hunter pet but they do nicely enough, especially against 3-4 similar level DoTed and feared opponents.

I often jump on my lock for some relief after playing my rogue and am surprised by how easy it is!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes... forgot to say that Druids are also a lot of fun. Cat form at 20 gives you rogue-like DPS and also stealth, a lot more fun than the bear/warrior until that point. Travel and water forms are very handy for exploring the world. The recent patch that changed shape-shifting behavior makes it much easier to switch from one to another... you no longer have to go cat->caster->bear in combat for instance, just cat->bear instantly if desired. Bind a couple of your instant cast heals (rejuvenation in particular) to the same button in cat/caster/bear forms for quick access and auto form switch when needed.

I think Druids are the most "fun" class to play, simply because you can change playstyle at any time.

KC said...

"Your 62 hunter could solo almost any of the Azeroth 5-man content. Anywhere where you can control the pulls sufficiently and you should be fine."

I so need to start trying this. I should go and do all of the instances I haven't yet ... which is basically all of them. Maybe I'll hold off to 70 and then do all those quests for moneys.

"SFK is not warlock friendly though. Lots of shadow and magic immune mobs in there!"

I really, really lucked out, too: the instance was set up without low-level crossbows in mind, I guess, because I kept getting curses that killed my gun and bow skills, but Tshaya has a crossbow and thus was almost entirely unaffected. The one time we wiped was primarily because she got silenced about six times and couldn't drop traps, though, so I could totally see a 'lock having issues there.

"You mentioned that you'd tried a lock but not got very far with it? The class has a dry patch around level 8 to 14-ish where the imp minion is too weak and the voidwalker is fairly unimpressive. By 15+ though, you have spells to keep the tank alive and are pumping out the damage a lot better."

Yeah, the one 'lock I ever dragged past 15 (up to 17) was a good damage dealer. I just really can't get into the class, honestly. You'd think that, since they're somewhat similar to hunters as far as having "pets" and all, I'd enjoy them, but I just can't get into them. In fact, about the only non-hunter classes I like are healers or in-your-face melee, or some hybrid of the two (enh. shaman). I've already lost complete interest in my mage, for example.

Which is why my druid aversion doesn't make much sense. I like the concept and lore of druids, I like both tauren and night elves, but I just can't seem to get into the class enough.

Anonymous said...

On the weekend I took my 66 rogue into Sunken Temple with some guildies and others. They were all of more appropriate levels (around 50) for the instance.

Due to people coming and going, the group makeup changed several times. At one point we had two shadow priests healing for two rogues. Rogues are bad tanks, with no "taunt" equivalent. I had no real problems handling the damage from multiple elite mobs, but any healing done quickly pulled off any mobs I hadn't had a chance to hit properly yet. ST has a lot of encounters with swarms of non-elites... there was just too many targets for me to tag them all properly.

We did ok, cleared all the bosses we could activate. At the end, just myself and a 49 rogue were skulking about killing stuff. Again, it was the swarms of small stuff that was most troublesome. Rogues have no AoE at all and this instance really shows up the lack.

A hunter has a much easier time. Take a pet with screech and it would be easy!

KC said...

But kitties can't screech. :-( Maybe I could two-man some of the higher stuff with a tankadin or something, though. Hmm. Or get a temp buzzard or something just for seeing content.

Thanks for the tips!

ST is one of, like, four instances pre-Outland I've seen all the way through. I could see it being difficult with mobs ganging up.