Sunday, June 15, 2008

Favorite zones

Yesterday, I was on my mage (who is also my cloth collecting alt, since I only play her until she gets killed and then get frustrated, meaning she's been level 10 for, like, three weeks now) in Undercity, and someone asked what a good zone was for the 30s. Someone suggested Stranglethorn Vale, and I suggested Thousand Needles. And then four or five different people on Trade started complaining about how awful Thousand Needles is. Not one person defended the zone.

I was kind of surprised. I mean, when I'd been questing there on Ideale, and now when I return to mine occassionally, there were other people in the zone, there was some minor PVP when the Alliance attacked the Great Lift, but more importantly, it was absolutely beautiful. The sunset or sunrise from Freewind Post is gorgeous. And the Shimmering Flats is probably my favorite place in the entire game so far, and in my opinion, one of the most beautiful (although Zangarmarsh is kind of gorgeous, too).

Honestly, whenever I feel like just relaxing, I head over to Thousand Needles and mine a bit, or just cruise around exploring, or watching the races at the raceway. Until I hit Outland, I flew back to Freewind Post right before I went to bed every morning to watch the sunrise.

I don't get how anyone could hate the zone.

But then, others on the Trade channel didn't get why I hated Stranglethorn, so I guess we're even (I really dislike most of the marshy zones, though the Wetlands were fun and Un'Goro was my favorite zone after Thousand Needles and Winterspring).

I guess it's all a matter of personal preference. But Daj, Kresha, and Ahami, at least, will all be leveling through their late 20s and 30s in Thousand Needles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

STV gets me down. Its a good place to level, but it just goes on forever! I think I was there from 30 through 43 or so on Crypt, with visits elsewhere. So many raptors, cats and trolls to kill!

Thousand needles is ok, at least from horde side. I haven't yet gone through the alliance side.. if there is one! The flats area probably caters for both, since its mostly goblins.

I really liked Tirisfal Glades as a starting zone. Its all creepy and dark, very much suiting its evil undead population. Undercity, once you get used to its layout, is the most condensed of the horde cities. I prefer it as a base to org, since org makes my pc lag badly, and Shatt is even worse!

The most fun lowbie zone for me was the Daenei starter zone, Azuremyst isle. I love that firbolg quest about level 8. Riding the elek at about level 10 is cool too, pity you cant keep it!

The blood elf starter zone was cool the first time through, but their (npc's) arrogant personalities now drive me nuts. Ghostlands isnt as bad. Its also one of the most condensed 10-20 levelling areas. Tranquillen reputation is almost useless though.

At the high end, HFP is great, in a painful way. Its quite a lot harder than the azeroth zones beforehand and you start off very under-geared. Zangar marsh is beautiful and I've had a lot of fun stealthing my way into places I shouldnt. Love the mushroom base the allies have! Blades Edge Mountains is where I am currently. I don't like the terrain restraints. Everywhere is blocked in by ridges of the mountain forcing you to travel the long way round to get anywhere.

KC said...

Shatt and Org (and Stormwind and/or Ironforge, depending on the realm) make my Macbook cry. Especially when Orgrimmar is full of attacking Alliance. Thunder Bluff is my favorite capital — I like Silvermoon, but it's so empty all the time.

Despite my dislike of gloom, I love Tirisfal Glades a LOT, and the Forsaken are probably my favorite Horde race. I just can't seem to play any of the classes very far. :-( I really like stealing the pumpkins and the Prodigal Lich questline. They're just so fun.

I think Azuremyst and Mulgore are my favorite starting zones, though — although I haven't gotten into Dun Morogh far enough to rule it out. I do like the snow. :-D I'm not a big fan of Elwynn/Westfall, Durotar, or Eversong and really, truly dislike Teldrassil (and Darkshore/Auberdine) — my night elf rogue did most of her early leveling elsewhere.

The Ghostlands were fun, though. If I didn't want kodos, I'd probably head over there again. Maybe for my Forsaken — I like the undead ponies enough, and there's some fairly decent caster stuff at the quartermaster.