Thursday, June 19, 2008

Shamans vs. hunters

Among my alt army, I have three itty shamans, my second favorite class despite the fact that my highest shaman ever reached 21 before the Great PVP Reroll of late March/early April. Ahami, my troll, is slowly working her way back up there, but I got distracted by leveling jewelcrafting on Kresha when I logged onto her to get Ahami something (can't even remember what now), so she's sitting a bar or two from 14.

But having leveled three (almost four) shamans to 10 (I have a retired shaman sitting on Laughing Skull still) and two higher, I've got the early levels down.

Honestly, hunters are very uneven pre-10. Depending on your kiting skills, they can be downright hard, at least until you get concussive shot. You don't have traps, you don't have wingclip, all you have is the ability to run away or do a quick back-out-of-range-arcane-shot. Some levels are easy; some are not. Levels 1-3 and 8-10 are a breeze, but the levels in between, at least for me, are full of frantic prayers that I just don't die for one more Raptor Strike. (I hardly ever die before level 10 anymore, but my health does get dangerously low quite often as a hunter).

Having visited each starting area but Dun Morogh and Elwynn Forest an average of 4-5 times now, there are certain quests I simply will not try as a pre-pet hunter. The quest in Teldrassil where you head into a cave full of sprites, for example? That's out, as is Zalazane in Durotar (those voodoo trolls just repop too fast and get behind you, then mob you ... maybe I just really suck at lowbie hunters).

After 10, playing a hunter is a breeze, at least for a few levels. I won't say it's "easy mode" at all; one of the reason the class holds my interest while many others do not is that it is a complicated class to play well. But leveling does seem to go quicker and fights do seem much less like nail-biting, edge of my seat experiences.

Shamans are much more even. As a hunter, sometimes you can solo a red mob and sometimes it kills you and your pet deader than dead. As a shaman (and this might be different for more skilled shamans than I am, and is almost certainly different for higher-level shamans with chain spells), being able to handle two mobs your level, but no more, or a mob two or maybe three levels higher, but no more, is pretty consistent through the early levels. There aren't level ranges that are way easier or way harder than others.

Playing a shaman appeals to me for many of the same reasons playing a hunter does. It can be a ranged class as well as a melee class; I grouped with two other players for the Durotar harpy quest and ended up buffing with totems, healing, and hitting Earth Shock and Lightning Bolt for two-thirds of the time (and meleeing for the rest). I like range.

Totems are a little like pets — at least, the fire totems are. They help you fight! I like help.

It's easier to stay alive — if I get in a tight spot I drop an Earthbind totem, run away a few yards, and have time to heal before reengaging.

Oh, and I love healing and being able to resurrect people other than my cat (this is why shamans beat out rogues for me; shooting lightning and healing people trumps being practically invisible and picking locks). If hunters could heal, I'd never bother with another class, but my little future resto shamans are the next best thing.

The only thing I dislike about shamans is that they are not nearly so fun to solo. With hunters, you have your pet running alongside you, keeping you company, so you don't ever really feel like you're alone, even when you're soloing and none of your friends are on. Your pet is your partner and the buddy you can always count on getting a group with. All you have to do is feed him and keep him from dying.

Shamans are lonely to play. All of my buddies on The Venture Co. have either mains or alts in the same level range as Ide' (60-70) and, as far as I know, aren't real interested in seriously leveling another toon yet, or aren't on much in the early afternoon when I'm working on Ahami (I usually put in an hour or so before I go to work). I don't know anyone on Ravenholdt well enough yet — I mostly play over there when I'm feeling anti-social, since I'm actually kind of shy and I'm still feeling out the realm. And this makes me sad, because I want a buddy to run around with when I'm in shaman mode. I want someone to tank the mobs so I can shoot lightning from afar. I want someone to heal and to rez when they die. I WANT TO BE A HEALER. YOU CANNOT BE A HEALER WITHOUT A HEALEE!

I wonder if it would be worth shelling out gold on the neutral AH for a little catling. (Random tip, since I stopped doing this after getting my level 40 mount: Make a bank alt and run them to Booty Bay. Buy non-combat pets in all of your factions cities for 50s each. Sell them on the neutral AH for 3-4g each. Horde-side, the dragonhawks and prairie dogs go over much better than the roaches; snakes have their ups and downs. Alliance-side, the black owls and cats seem to go for the most gold, particularly the coveted white kitten sold by Little Timmy — I think that's his name — in Stormwind; I got 20g for that one once. I don't know why I quit doing this; it brought in decent gold for a tiny investment.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with much of this post. Shaman are much more even than most classes and hunters are probably the most uneven of the lot. Nearly all classes get a considerable boost at level 10. The hunter would be nearly unplayable beyond that if pets didn't arrive to help out.

The particular quests you mentioned are difficult for most classes but since they fall right in the middle of the hunter's weakest stage they are significantly harder for them. Try and find another person to complete them with.

Its a bit of a misconception that totems (or even hunter and lock pets) are "extra" help.... they are factored in to your classes playability. Rogues and Warriors have their tricks, as well as better melee DPS. Pallies have armor and healing, mages have obscene DPS and a few escape tricks. It is all remarkably well balanced considering the large amount of choice in gear, talent spec and class skills that are available.

All classes are fun but my preferences are rather clearly demonstrated in my other post here... hunters and locks by a long way.

If you want to create a few more alts, come visit me on Dath'Remar (horde). I've a lowbie pallie and warrior that could use some help!

While talking about grouping, its worth mentioning that a good group that works together sharing quite a few quests is an effective levelling strategy. I often hear that its clearly better to work solo if you are in a rush to level. Not so. In a good group, working efficiently on the same set of quests, you can get as much exp / hour as soloing. The key here is teamwork and focus...something that many people lack, which is why they find soloing better.

KC said...

"Its a bit of a misconception that totems (or even hunter and lock pets) are "extra" help.... they are factored in to your classes playability."

Oh, I know, but in my brain, pet = help. *shrug* The fact that Ideale sans pet is a walking dead belf doesn't change that for me, true as it is. Especially as a BM hunter, I see us as a team, dependent on Cinnamon to survive, but a team nonetheless. Since Daj is going MM, playing her might feel a bit different, though.

"If you want to create a few more alts, come visit me on Dath'Remar (horde). I've a lowbie pallie and warrior that could use some help!"

NOOOO TOO MANY ALTS *goes off to make another shammy or rogue or maybe priest*