Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Holidays in Azeroth

While Daj was cruising around Orgrimmar with her 'locky friend on Monday night, we ran across a handful of workers. She asked them what was going on, and found that they are setting up for Brewfest.

I'm very excited for this holiday, and have been since it was announced that kodo mounts would be one of the prizes. Why? Well, Daj needs a kodo, mostly because I despise raptor mounts for screechy-noises-that-annoy-me reasons, but also because it's more appropriate to her history. So when I rerolled Daj as a hunter, I ran her little level one self all the way to Mulgore and quickly got her to honored with Thunder Bluff.

Only now that I am leveling her with my best friend's warlock, I don't think I am going to make it to exalted — especially since the original plan was to have her there by 40, not 30, and since we chose to forego the Stonetalon Mountains. Brewfest is the perfect chance to get her a kodo with a minimum of trouble.

I have to say, though, so far no holiday has come close to my first holiday in Azeroth. I rolled my first character mere hours before the Lunar Festival started back in February. I love Lunar New Year anyway, and to waltz into Stormwind (I had yet to find Thunder Bluff on my Hordies at that point) for the first time and find people celebrating it was pretty awesome. Getting that invite to Moonglade and popping in to see revelers dancing in the moonlight was also cool. All four of my "main" characters on Whisperwind had the festival clothes, and I delayed deleting them (even after rerolling!) for months because I didn't want to give them up.

I have been itching for February to return so that I can repeat the fun on all of my peeps. I think the only other holiday that has come close for me is Children's Week — there's something incredibly fun about running those little rugrats around all over the place, and getting cute little pets is always a blast.

What I'd like to see are holidays that are a little more immersive, I guess. With the Lunar Festival, you went and spoke to the elders, got red envelopes in your inbox (and might I add that I LOVE getting mail from NPCs? Dorky but true), and went to party in Moonglade. During Children's Week, you run the kids around and show them a good time, like a Big Brother/Big Sister thing. During the Midsummer Fire Festival (which I also liked), there were the really cool quests to spy on the Twilight's Hammer, plus dancing around the maypole and stealing flames. That stuff is FUN.

Meanwhile, the Harvest Fest? Noblegarden? That Valentine's one? Kind of blah. "Oh, hey, look, an egg. Why does this matter?" No cool prizes (at least do a mini-pet or some clothes!), no cool storylines, no sense of accomplishment at the end.

I'd love to see Blizz flesh out those two holidays, at least. Adding more would be cool, too! Like, how fun would it be to have a flower festival? Or something based on Mardi Gras? (Although that would have to be moved to avoid conflict with the Lunar Festival.) I know every day can't be a holiday, but maybe one every month would be fun.

3 comments:

Cryptography said...

Brewfest last year was full of awesome.... and some bugs.

I am very happy with the ram mounts I got though. I think only one other in my guild actually managed that. *struts*

This year I intend grinding several characters through it for mounts. any extras will get some of the vanity items.

The holiday festivals have generally improved over the years, but brewfest really raised the bar for quality.

Cryptography said...

Brewfest this year has been hit with a nerfbat rather severely.

The catch a wolpertinger quest is gone, though you can buy the vanity pet for 50 silver.

The pink elekk quest is gone too, so there's absolutely no point in visiting any of the capitals except Org / IF.

The worst thing seems to be that you cant get a mount any more! Those of us who got the brewer's stamp last year can buy both the level 30 and level 60 brewfest rams but there's no sign of a kodo.

The vendor sells 3 kinds of hops that make a temporary mount disguise, but these are pretty useless, a bit like the christmas holly.

People in chat were saying that you can still get the mounts but I am yet to see how!

The goggles from last year are still available. They are an interesting toy item.

It looks like all the hats, shoes and dresses are BoP now, so there's none that can be bought for trade. One item last year was tradeable.

*edit* wowhead links now have people saying it drops from the new BRD boss.

What a pain!

KC said...

Supposedly there is an NPC that drops both mounts, or so a blue was saying. Unfortunately, Daj is too low to do that, so I will have to suck it up with a raptor until 60, I think, and then get the war kodo from the PVP rewards. The only other way I could do it would involve lots of questing and cloth turn-ins, which would be expensive and level her way above my friend's 'lock. *sigh* Oh well.