Thursday, January 15, 2009

Finding fun in dailies

I am not a dailies kind of person. I don't care for them much — oh, I do them, but I don't really like them. Not because dailies are generally gank-fests, but because they eat valuable time I could be spending PVPing or exploring or mining or something. And face it, once you've seen them once, they're pointless.

So here are a few of the things I do to make dailies less of a chore:

1. I only do 3-5 a day. That's still a good 50 gold or so, plus the rep, and takes anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on which ones I do and how much travel I put in. Honestly, I'm not in a huge hurry to get exalted with everything NOW. The next expansion will be another 2-3 years down the road and I don't do much PVE, so I have plenty of time.

2. I focus on one rep-grind at a time (well, two; one PVE and one PVP). If you're only doing a handful of dailies each day, it's nice to see one faction gaining rep in chunks rather than a trickle in three or four. It makes it feel like something is being accomplished. For example, I worked on Ahami's Kalu'ak rep, then took a PVP-only break for a few weeks. Now I am working on her Wyrmrest rep or working on Arathi Basin when I log in on her. Of course, if you're doing the heroic tabard thing, you're going to gain rep much faster plus get emblems and stuff from the heroic daily.

3. Pick one daily that I really like and do it every day. Right now, it's the cooking one (and I think the jewelcrafting one will be up there, too!). For the Kalu'ak, I liked the wolvar pups quest. I did my third Aces High! today and am really having a blast with that one (plus, when I do lose my drake, I have time to read blogs while I parachute to the ground for 15 minutes).

4. When I reach a goal (a certain amount of gold, a gain in rep from Friendly to Honored, etc.), I reward myself. For Ahami, it's harder because she's a scribe, and the recipes aren't purchasable. I've been grabbing cooking recipes or minipets for her, but I'm going to be running out of stuff soon. For Ideale, I'll splurge on an expensive jewelcrafting recipe (or go to the Isle and grab one of the few I haven't learned yet).

5. When I've reached a major goal (Exalted with a faction, or if I ever manage to save 1,000 gold), I take a break for a week and only do what I feel like doing, whether that's leveling an alt, playing around in the battlegrounds, flying around pointlessly, or whatever.

No comments: