Monday, January 26, 2009

Diving in to UIs

I've been using the standard UI for WoW since I started playing, and while I didn't have any problems with it as a hunter, I'm really starting to get annoyed when healing, because:

- Everything is too far away from everything else. While all of my spells are keybound, I do click to select people. (Yes, I click sometimes. Sorry.) I want to be able to see everyone in my group or full raid in one spot, see who needs healing, click the name and hit the appropriate button. Without using Healbot, though, 'cause I hate that p.o.s. add-on. It's not too bad when I'm just with a small party because everyone's portrait is on the left, but in the battlegrounds or WG it gets really, really frustrating and slows me way down. And as I've established here, I like things to go veryvery fast.

I'd also really, really like to be able to heal someone without switching who I have selected. For example, if I am healing a five-man, I usually have the tank selected as my default heal target, so I can monitor Earth Shield, keep her health topped, etc. I want to be able to heal one of the DPS without having to switch to them, heal, and switch back. Mostly so that I can just throw a Lesser Healing Wave or Chain Heal at the ranged folks without losing my attention on keeping the tank and melee peeps alive. Or so, when I'm in a battleground, I can throw heals to the folks who need one while my pocket DPSer isn't taking damage, but not have to search and find them again. I know it can be done, but how?

- I have a lot of action bars. I hate going to my spellbook, so I use all five action bars, and most of the things on those action bars are keybound. I rarely use everything, but I want to know that Fire Resistance Totem is there should I ever need it. I need more action bars. (I'm dead serious, I need at least one more visible for both Ahami and Ideale.) Bad thing? They eat a good quarter of my screen on the bottom and the right. I want to make them smaller, stick them all in one spot, and perhaps add more actiony goodness, if that's even possible.

- I am really starting to hate the portraits/health bars/etc. I do not like fancy things (aside from fancy party clothes), and they are just too ornate for me. I want them to be plain. And maybe not round, because it looks messy on a cluttered, rectangular screen.

So what do I do? I've been looking on the official forum and at what various other people are using, but I'm still at a complete loss as far as what mods to download and how to configure things. Is there a how-to guide out there? Because I'm not finding one, and I'm hesitant to grab add-ons or mods from any site but Curse, given the rash of hacked accounts lately.

Help, please?

4 comments:

Sarai said...

Some of the add-ons I use might help.

Try Flo Totem Bars, it makes small bars for each set of your totems(water, fire, earth, and air), and includes a timer for the ones you drop. It's fairly small too, about the size of your pet's action bar, and it's movable. It also doubles as a trap bar for your hunter.

I use X-perl for my unit frames, don't know if that's too fancy for you or not. If you haven't tried it yet, you could give it a look.

As far as the healing thing goes, have you tried setting your main target as your focus? I've done that for my hunter so I can watch my trap targets, it's like a target frame and will show their buffs/debuffs, and you can click on anyone else that might need attention without having to hunt for your main target again. To set it just target the tank/dps'er, right click their portrait and choose Set Focus.

Anonymous said...

Hey, for your action bars i strongly recommend bartender 4, its on curse and its just awesome, you can create up to 10 separate bars i think, resize and place them however you like, its also much easier to change/make keybinds.
For the healing thing a focus might be alright but you'l still have to reclick on that bar to select the MT (except if you make a bunch of /tar focus /cast chainheal macros). What I use is a whole bar full of mouseover macro's that are keybound. They work like this for instance "/cast [target=mouseover,exists][] Flash Heal"
this way i can keep my target but just heal away at any dps that simply won't move out of the fire ;-).
I also find unit frames addons incredibly useful because it's just so unpractical to have evrything so far away. I use pibtull and have my hp bar center left, my target center right, the targets target between the two bars and my party/raid a little left from the center. This way everything is really close and very visible while still allowing me to look in the center of the screen and where the action is. As great as pitbull is setting it up may take you a while since its so customisable.
I really love tweaking my UI hope you'll enjoy =)

Cryptography said...

Ego has a fine post on this:

http://egotisticalpriest.com/2009/01/addons-and-healing/

I personally use the ct-mod package. It has a bar mod, a mail mod and a raid frames mod all in one package along with other stuff. Its pretty well supported with regular updates.

KC said...

I'm looking at the addons you all suggested, and will see what I like. Thank you! :-)

@ Sarai: Would you believe I'm such a noob I had no idea what the "Set Focus" option even did? I tried it, and that's exactly what I wanted. You rock.