Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Maybe I'm the Alt Collector

*deep breath* I'm the Kitty Collector and I'm an altoholic. There. You guys win, okay?

I briefly went into Arathi Basin on my druid the other day to try the boomkin PVP thing and ended up healing instead. And it was a blast. I can't wait to hit 80 so I can spec as a tree full-time!

And then I switched to Ahami and ran some AB on her, too, to see if the setup of my hot bars was going to be problematic (yes) and get a little comparison. Shaman is still more fun, but I think I'll like them both once I get more used to the druid. After that, I flipped back to Onashne and moved buttons around until I was happy with the results.

And then I sat at the character creation screen for half an hour creating a blood elf priest, before remembering that I still need to: a.) get more resilience and grind rep on my two mains; b.) level Ide's pets and hopefully tame Loque; c.) level the druid and mage; d.) max out all their professions; e.) get epic flyers for all of them. Plus I'm organizing a couple of recurring events, one for the guild and one for the Horde-side of VeCo. And I have a hunter twink and a 'lock twink who I'd like to level a little and then gear out.

I never hit the create button — mostly because WoW really doesn't need another blood elf, does it? — but I was very, very tempted. Despite having a little itty pally sitting just shy of level 10 who I was thinking about making a twink healer.

I doubt I will level another healer (or another toon, really) to 80 after my planned alts get there. I'll be completely self-sufficient with everything but enchanting gear-wise and with gathering professions once Onashne and Kamai hit 80. And since I don't PVE much, I have to work on reps and stuff the hard way, via turn-ins, dailies and other boring stuff. By the time these four hit exalted with the factions they need, the next expansion will probably be out.

Really, too, while I've been having a blast leveling Onashne, I'll be glad when she catches up with E. and I can go back to playing my mains for more than just dailies. I miss them both very much, especially Ahami. Ideale has been getting out every day to gather meat for the cooking dailies, do a handful of quests for gold or gather Nesingwary Lackey Ears so I can get her a hippogryph when she has the money for epic flying. Ahami does the cooking quest and sometimes Aces High! and then goes back to the inn to rest. The break was nice, but I'm totally ready to get back to playing them and especially hitting the battlegrounds.

But a priest looks fun. A lot more fun than a pally, really — I just rolled the pally to annoy my friend (long story). Plus, since I have my magey tailor, I'd still be self-sufficient as far as gear goes. And then I could have an alchemist/enchanter at max level.

I think I have WoW ADD. Having a night job that leaves me with too much time on my hands in the wee hours of the morning doesn't help, either.

3 comments:

Cryptography said...

We would hardly be alone, us Altaholics :)

My 2 cents of sage advice: If the drive to play a character is only because you "need" the next bit of gear or rep, or whatever, its time to play an alt instead.

Play only whatever character is FUN, and only for so long as it remains FUN else you will destroy your enjoyment of the game.

(The push to get to 70 pre wrath, and the netherwing grind both drove me to alts. So far I'm still having fun in the climb to 80, but am doing it MY way, and no-one elses!)

Sarai said...

You are totally not alone. Just look at my character list. :)

And I agree with Cryptography. Alts are the best way to avoid burnout, and the main reason why I still play the game, and still enjoy it, after 4 years.

KC said...

Well, for me the rep grind is part of what makes a character fun. Gear I don't really care about so long as mine is at a level where I can enjoy the things I want to do (i.e., PVP). I do like collecting RP gear bits and pieces, though.

That said, I adore hunters and shamans. Loooove them. But I have played only those two classes seriously since I started playing, and I like a bit of variety. I do want to keep from burning out.

Thanks both of you for the comments. I will probably give in and roll a priest soon, but I do want to focus on the druid for now, at least. She's so much fun!