Thursday, February 5, 2009

Achievements, titles and class quests

I was reading this post at Curse of Senility and it got me thinking. One of the things I was disappointed in with Echoes of Doom was the removal of certain quests or requirements. I am one of those freaks who liked having to tame a beast, learn the skill, and then teach my pet. I love all of the quests that grant abilities, and I'm really disappointed that I will be missing out on some of those with my itty alts.

The quests gave the classes their flavors, I think. While it's certainly convenient to learn things at the trainers, the lore and the idea of learning certain skills from quests always appealed to me.

Since the quests are still in the game, I think it would be neat for Blizz to implement a class-based achievement that requires doing all of the class-specific quest chains. There could be a couple of new ones from 70-80, and maybe a couple of other requirements (i.e., for a hunter one could be to max your bow, crossbow and gun skills). At the end, you get an achievement, with a title to go along with it. The title should be different for Horde and Alliance, of course; Horde paladins would get "Blood Knight," Horde shamans would get "of the Earthen Ring," etc. And Alliance would get their equivalents.

I think that would be a really neat idea, and a way to get people to do these quests for various abilities and spells without forcing it on anyone.

2 comments:

LS said...

I think you're absolutely correct. Things like this are exactly what Achievements are best at doing. Providing some sort of clear 'end' to a collection of otherwise arbitrary accomplishments which would usually be ignored.

Bravo.

KC said...

Thanks. :-D

While I'm not one of those players who's like, "Gotta get them all!" I do enjoy the satisfaction of a new achievement popping up now and then. The old-school class quests are a blast, and I think adding an achievement for them would let other people who maybe have never done them see that.