Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Battleground PVP changes

I know that many, many things have changed with the new expansion. Major changes from the addition of tanks in Strand of the Ancients and death knights to minor things like achievements encouraging players to actually do shit in the battlegrounds has changed a few things.

Things that haven't changed, Horde edition:

1. In Arathi Basin, in the first minute, take control of the freaking lumber mill and blacksmith before you head for the gold mine or stables. The mine is strategically useless and the stables are too hard to hold if you can't count on reinforcements from either the LM, the BS or both. I've been playing this game for a year and this has never changed in that entire time — if you are heading for the mine or stables right out of the gate, you fail.

2. You know the Snowfall Graveyard in Alterac Valley? Why the hell are you capping it? If Horde controls all the graveyards, then the Alliance all rez over by Vann, and then that one stupid mage/elemental shaman combo AOE wipes the whole group over and over and over again because what else are they gonna do?

3. Achievements did not stop people from AFKing in the cave in AV. Please continue to report them. The arena season will hopefully end someday, and then they will all go away until the next arena season, I'm sure.

4. You still need to capture the flag to win Warsong Gulch. The flag is not somewhere in the middle, unless it's because the Alliance flag carrier is RP-walking by while you ignore them completely for the HKs.

5. I don't know if anything about Eye of the Storm has changed. No one ever goes there on Nightfall — including me, after losing a win four times in one week after the three or four Alliance players (to our three or four Horde) all deserted. GG.

Sorry, Alliance, I fail at leveling space goats so I have nothing for you except this: Your zerging strategy in AB? It doesn't really work. See, we just have a lone druid go recap each base as you leave it for the next. You might want to try something else.

EDIT: One really nice change I have seen is that people seem to be much nicer to each other in the battlegrounds (Horde, Nightfall, around 2 a.m. PST). There's a lot more communication and a lot less "omgwtfbbq l2play n00b."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lunapike is still 70 and as such I have made the pleasant discovery that the 61-70 AV bracket on Nightfall is like... the new 51-60 bracket. Big epic battles, Horde wins a lot, and you don't have the fresh-outta-Ebon-Hold DKs. I'm a fan!

KC said...

Hmm. That might be something to look at for one or two of my eventual twinks. I was looking at the 40-49 bracket, but 61-70 could be fun, too, and it's not like I don't have the time.

I do enjoy end-game, even the battlegrounds, because when you do get a decent group, they can be a blast, plus you can go out and do world PVP, quest around without having to worry about leveling out, etc. But there are a few things that were common to the BGs at 70 and have not changed much at 80.

I'd really love to try other battlegroups to see the differences, but I love VeCo too much.