Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Balance vs. feral

Oh, and balance is definitely more fun than feral. Getting bashed in the face is only fun for so long. But rooting mobs to the ground and then killing them with shinies? It's a blast. Like a cross between a shaman and a mage sans any AOE (wrath instead of lightning, roots instead of frost nova, no 'splosions or chainey stuff).

I do still spend a lot of time bouncing around going, "WHEE, I R CHEETAH" though.

One thing about loving hybrid classes — I desperately want to try some of the hybrid specs floating around out there. I never got to try the resto/elem build for PVP on Ahami, since Echoes of Doom changed it all when she was just barely 60. And right now at 80 I'm having way too much fun with Riptide and (since the patch) instant Ghost Wolf to try a hybrid spec yet. I like going "Scamper scamper scamper SPLOOSH scamper scamper scamper chain heal SPLOOSH" too much.

But looking at the resto druid, HoTs seem to be the most fun, and while speccing 51 points in resto would be pretty good as a healer, a resto/balance hybrid spec might make me a bit more flexible in the battlegrounds, where there are sometimes no healers and sometimes a boatload of them.

I really love healing, though. It always looked fun, but I never expected to love it as much as I do. I love the ranged pewpew very much. It's definitely more fun for questing and wandering solo around the world, and I really do like standing behind everyone and shooting the peoples in the face, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't be leveling a magey if that part wasn't fun. But healing is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. (PVP healing, anyway — PVE healing stops being interesting the second you get the hang of a fight. I wish I could bring myself to like PVE sometimes. World PVP comes and goes in cycles even on VeCo, but it seems like people are always doing that PVE thing.) I'd totally level a priest and a pally, too, if leveling holy didn't suck and their other specs weren't boring. Or if you could start them from 55 like a death knight.

Really, I don't know why Blizz doesn't let you just roll one character of any class at level 55 for each level 55 character you have. So if you had two characters over level 55 (a shaman and a hunter, for example), you could roll two characters on the same server (a mage and a druid, perhaps?) and they would start at 55.

But then you'd be able to roll four more characters at 55 unless they wrote something into the game to keep track. And that would probably require a ton of patchiness or a new expansion. Never mind.

2 comments:

Lilivati said...

'm a weird tree. I don't like boomkin at all. When we -finally- get dual specs, I'm going feral all the way. Resto is my one true love, but for soloing and messing around, it would be fun to be a cat. So that's the gear I'm saving up, and passing on the spell hit/spell crit boomkin gear. Realizing I had no desire whatsoever to boom, gear synergies notwithstanding, freed up a lot of bag space at the end of BC. (As an aside, not liking boomkin and not being able to level a mage past 14 before the rage takes me are probably related phenomena.)

That said, if I was going to PvP heal in a format like arena, I would probably not go 51 points into resto. The synergy with balance is just too good for that platform. (BGs, it's more debatable- with more people present the sacrifice in flexibility for healing might pay off.) Gearing that spec for maximum viability in PvP would be a really interesting experiment, as I'm not sure straight-up PvP or PvE gear would suit. (Assuming a slightly more evolved gear collection than we are presented with at the beginning of an expansion.)

KC said...

Honestly, for shamans too, I'd say hybrid resto/caster specs are more versatile for PVP anyway, especially with the changes to healing/spell damage gear with 3.0.

With dual-speccing, I think it will be fun to play around with hybrid resto/caster secondary specs on both my healers, especially since I don't need to worry about having a PVE spec unless I want to. If we ever get dual specs.

But as far as feral, I can see why some people love it — occasionally it's just a blast to go invisi-cat and jump on people — but melee is just not all that fun to me. I got a rogue to the mid-20s before I got so bored I couldn't take it anymore, I got a warrior to level 6 once, and even my DK is starting to lose my interest. My pally attempts have all ended up abandoned or healing and then abandoned. I'm just not a melee person.