Sunday, July 13, 2008

I've got a gun

And after spending an hour and a half in my home away from home, the Laughing Skull Ruins in Nagrand, farming warbeads for Consortium rep, I know how to use it! (Well, mostly — my gun skill's not to 350 yet, but it's in the 330s and was at 2 when I started, so I'm not too disappointed.)

Why? Well, I really needed a faster weapon for PVP — I don't use Steady Shot at all until I am being completely ignored or on Vann, and want to keep doing damage between Arcane Shot and Multishot cooldowns — and since I haven't quested in Netherstorm or Shadowmoon Valley yet and still had the Tusker quest sitting in my quest log, Nesingwary's Elekk Gun was a big upgrade from my current crossbow, which was obtained back on Hellfire Peninsula. So when a paladin on General asked if anyone needed the quest, I said, "Me, me!" and we went and took Tusker out in about 6.5 seconds. Shiny new gun!

I headed to Thunder Bluff to learn the gun skill, and, knowing that the first 150 or so shots would probably not hit against a level 66 ogre, some of the starter ammo. If I'm going to waste bullets, I'd rather do it at a few coppers a stack. Then I headed back to Nagrand, picked up Saffron (who is almost to level 66 herself now), and went to work.

I still hate the gun noise a lot, but since this seems (after a quick scan of Thottbot, not any sort of real research) to be one of the better ranged weapons I can get without either going into a dungeon, getting Revered with the Shattered Sun Offensive, or buying the PVP crossbow (my eventual goal, but I want to replace some more armor first, since you can't shoot if you're dead), I will likely have it for a while. And if it gets super-annoying, I can always buy a bow off of the Auction House. And I must admit, it's way cooler looking, and it helps in my quest to remove all of the greens from my character sheet.

Next goal: Get mining to 300, use proceeds to get a flying mount — if I can make enough money in the process of doing this and farming for rep, which seems rather likely, I might just hold out for a while longer, start an epic flyer fund and skip the regular flyer entirely. I need to get exalted with the Cenarion Expedition anyway, and I love cruising around on my talbuk too much to quit yet.

Alt goals: Ahami has finished the Barrens, for my purposes. There are unfinished quests, but most of the mobs and basically all of the herbs and skinning are grey to her now. After a short trip to the Ghostlands to do a pair of quests there with rewards I particularly want, she'll be going to either Ashenvale or the Stonetalon Mountains. Every character I've gotten past 20, except Tshaya, has quested in Ashenvale, but I'm not bored of it yet. The only character to ever hit Stonetalon was my original shaman. I don't remember liking it much, though. Much as I like Hillsbrad, I think I will be much less frustrated if I go therecloser to 30 — the Alliance is generally around 30-35 by the time they hit Southshore and regularly attack Tarren Mill or gank/camp fresh Horde around the zone. I remember being incredibly frustrated when I was there with Ideale because I had to group up to get anything done.

In the meantime, I want to get Kresha retrained in skinning until I decide what to do with her profession-wise. It might be nice to have another skinner anyway, since I intend to switch Ahami's skinning to alchemy when she hits 70. And since she seems to be the next hunter I want to level, I want to better plan the zones I hit with her than I did with Ideale, so I can get gear upgrades that keep up with my level instead of chilling in level 36 pants in Zangarmarsh. I also need to start considering a second kitty for her ... although I did hear a rumor that Blizz might be adding stable slots in WotLK, it wasn't from a trustworthy source, and even if it were, there are some low-level cats that would just be torture to level on Ideale, especially to 80 (like Humar).

Blog goal: Finish the entry comparing 10-20 zones that's been mouldering for over a month.

I should write up a list of goals before WotLK at some point. I enjoy the game much more when I'm working toward things.

4 comments:

Cryptography said...

Hey, I posted on my blog about weapon training. Would have been handy for you!

http://wowdecrypted.blogspot.com/2008/07/training-weapons-is-not-sich-drag.html

Lovely, Typo immortalised forever in the link!

KC said...

:-D I actually saw that when you wrote it and considered training the gun there, but I wanted to kill three birds with one stone (leveling Saff and collecting warbeads). Besides, with my lack of skill and crap ammo, I had no problem with pulling aggro from her until the last 15 minutes or so. I also already know the respawn pattern and timing from the talbuk grind at LSR, so. *shrug* Plus I like Nagrand.

Pike said...

When it comes to Horde, the Barrens is the only 10-20 zone I can really stand. I can't stand Ghostlands for some unknown reason and I also have never been able to get into Silverpine Forest.

The sad part is, I think Barrens is a pain in the butt too, but at least the quests are slightly more interesting and straightforward to me =P "Kill this, find that."

I gotta hand my preference to the Alliance on this one... though I also have always preferred the Alliance locations overall, so... I am biased!

KC said...

I really love the Ghostlands, but I can also easily see why other people wouldn't. They're sort of creepy and dark and all emogothy. I do prefer the Barrens, though.

I don't think I've spent enough time in Westfall or Loch Modan to like them, but I don't actively dislike them, either. Darkshore depresses me. I love Bloodmyst. I think it's my absolute favorite 10-20 zone.