Friday, August 1, 2008

Don't knock my Spirit Bond!

I see a lot of people disparaging Spirit Bond. And really, I can kind of understand why, because it doesn't seem like a very useful talent.

But if you PVP, it definitely can be. See, Feign Death sometimes works against other players (sometimes, in the heat of a large battle), but usually it doesn't. Traps sometimes work on other players, if they've used their trinket and cooldowns already. Sometimes. But usually they don't.

So for hunters who raid, where even if Feign Death resists, you have a tank trying to retake aggro, traps which will usually work, etc., Spirit Bond really is pretty useless. But for PVP hunters, it can actually save your ass.

I grabbed it when I did a respec somewhere in the 40s or 50s (I forget where), just to see what the problem was with it. People kept saying it sucked, it was a useless talent, etc.

But I cannot count the number of times when I've been in a battle and gotten down to the barest sliver of health, and the 150 or so health that this returns to me every ten seconds has saved me long enough to get a heal, drink a health potion, or bandage. I cannot count the number of times that this has returned my health right before that last tick on the DoT a warlock dropped on me would have finished me off.

Maybe, when I get a bit better gear, things will be different and I'll drop Spirit Bond. But right now, my unbuffed health is at about 9500 when I'm in my best PVP gear, and most other people in the battlegrounds or on the Isle are starting off with at least a thousand more health, usually 1500 or more. When you're starting off that far behind, an extra 150 health at an opportune moment can mean the difference between surviving a skirmish or waiting out the next 30 seconds at the Spirit Healer (and I always seem to get there right after the rez wave hits). That's 30 seconds you're not helping your team.

So let me have my Spirit Bond. (Plus, the name is just cool.)

2 comments:

Pike said...

I can see where Spirit Bond would be useful; I guess the thing for me is I cannot find anything in my current talent build that I would EVER drop for it =P

KC said...

I can totally respect that. There are talents I would like to put the points in myself, but it's just been so darned useful for me that I can't bring myself to do it yet.