Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hunter personalities

The main reason I have five hunters is, of course, to collect cats around Azeroth. Yes, I'm a dork, but if Blizzard is only going to give us two viable stable slots, so be it.

But another reason is because I am, at heart, a role-player, and I play very much in character. My hunters (and my other, non-hunter alts) all have distinct backstories and personalities, and I get very into character when I'm playing them. While I usually have a backstory in mind, this often changes as I get a better sense of a character's personality (something I've found is the case in other RPGs I've played, both online and off).

Ideale, for example, is very driven, but is a bit of a carebear at heart. If you're a similar-level Alliance and you run across her path, she'll attack (unless you're a hunter, too). Lower levels get ignored. Why not attack other hunters? For some reason, on Ideale, it just feels wrong; I think because the Farstriders were basically her family, and so she extends that to hunters in general. She's more likely to emote-communicate with an Alliance hunter, whereas anything else, especially paladins, are fair game. She's very much trying to prove herself a useful member of the Horde.

Tshaya is super serious and a bit of a loner. She chooses whether to fight or not on a whim (or when I remember I'm Alliance and the taurens aren't on my side anymore), but is much more interested in exploring Azeroth and finding out of the way corners to hide out and hunt, just her and Cat. She doesn't have anything to prove, and likes to take her own time exploring areas, learning new skills, and completing tasks.

Daj thinks a little like a rogue. If she has a task, she gets in, does it, and gets out. Because she grew up around taurens, she is not very fond of violence, but will turn to it when necessary. She's unlikely to attack opposing faction not so much because she's opposed to fighting, but because it's a waste of time and unnecessary. She'll defend herself as needed. She has a sense of humor, though, and does enjoy spending time just hunting out in the Barrens or somewhere else sunny and nice and full of fun game. And she likes to take bets, which is how Project Infiltration got started.

Kresha is a fighter. She'll do her duties to the Horde, but if she can fight Alliance on the way, then she's up for it. She knows no fear (which is why she spent half an hour attacking a ?? warrior who came to defend Eastvale this morning ... at level 10) and is likely to laugh while losing as well as while winning. When she's not fighting, she likes a good party. She basically lives in the moment, and loves to have fun. I'm still getting a bit of a sense of her personality, but she is very intense and very fun to play.

I haven't played Dayea enough to get a sense of her personality, really, but I do like her. She seems fairly upbeat and cheerful. Also like more of a defender; I think she'd be the alt who will would take time out of questing or other tasks to come to the defense of Eastvale when level 10 orcs start taking out peasants, but wouldn't especially go looking for a fight. I'm not sure yet.

My non-hunters also have personalities — I like my mage, Branna, and priest, Gabi, best Horde-side, and my paladin, Mangaragan, and rogue, Dihas, Alliance-side. None of them get a lot of play time, though, because while I love the characters, I don't care much for the play styles of any of them long enough to play for more than an hour here and there, and since I work weird hours and spend most of my time soloing, hunters are the most fun, even if they are supposedly "EZ Mode." (I could see it being easy with macros, but I don't and likely won't use them. And nothing is easy mode on a laptop!)

And the game is about fun, right?

No comments: