Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Shoveltusk-mania

Ahami has journeyed from the Borean Tundra to the Howling Fjord to join Ideale. Yes, the Not-Fundra got better, but it still sucked — I plan to go back and finish a few quests when I'm done with Howling Fjord, but the rest can wait until I'm 80 and poor and looking to finish achievements.

Anyway, I have discovered my new favorite thing in this expansion, and that is killing entire herds of shoveltusks. There are a ton of them on the western road from New Agamand to Grizzly Hills, and if you aggro one, the whole herd comes after you. So, as a resto shaman, I drop my fire elemental totem, earth shield it, then spam lightning bolt and chain lightning until the whole herd goes down. Keep an eye on his health, but those shoveltusk go down so fast it usually isn't a problem. Then heal him, mana up and pull the next herd.

I can manage two herds before the totem runs out, sometimes three.

Then I run a bit down the road, wait for the cooldown, drop my earth elemental, and do the same thing. With the earth elemental, I can only manage one herd because it takes longer, and you have to focus more on healing him, but keeping earth shield and riptide up seems to do just fine, with the occasional lesser healing wave thrown in (I never really used LHW before, but it crits like crazy now, so half the time it's like using HW with less mana).

You suck down a lot of water (well, seal whey or whatever) doing this, but just one rotation last night (after round two, you have the much longer cooldown), I made a bubble and a half of XP at level 70, plus I had a crapton of shoveltusk flanks and meat for cooking with.

I imagine you could do the same as a hunter with volley, as long as you had a pet that could AOE aggro. Probably with less downtime. I don't plan on getting an AOE'r pet on Ideale, so I can't test this out, unfortunately.

No comments: