Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dear PVE thing

Dear PVE thing,

WTF

Love,
Ahami

***

So I've been leveling Ahami veryvery slowly. Fortunately, I have so far managed to almost keep up (haha, that'll change by tomorrow) with some of the guild, and managed to get in on two instances this week: Nexus and Drak'Tharon Keep.

For Nexus, I was right smack in the middle of the suggested level and the lowest-level player there. Everyone else was at the high end or above. We wiped 4-5 times in two and a half hours, only making it to the third boss. It was SO frustrating, and I really feel like my healing was part of the problem; any time a DPSer pulled aggro, they went down before I could heal. They said I did okay, but I freak out when I let people die, so yeah. Anyway, it was ridiculously hard, and I hid from instances for the rest of the week because of it (although I really do want to go back in before I'm over-leveled, because I think it would be good practice — if I can get my guildies to go again).

So some of my best buds in the guild wanted to do Drak'Tharon Keep, and needed a healer. I ended up letting them talk me into going, even though I'm way below the suggested level and allegedly below the minimum level. To be honest, I didn't argue that hard — they're a lot of fun to run with. I was just worried I'd have to go before we were done (ended up having to go RIGHT after so I could frantically write this before my family gets here).

We blew through it in under an hour, with one almost-wipe on a bad pull that the awesome death knight off-tank and I ended up two-manning through. It was SO EASY. I went oom once during a chain pull, and that was it. Three deaths total, whole instance, on that one bad pull. SO EASY. Although I still don't know WTF was going on with this dude.

In my opinion, Blizz needs to switch these instances. For real.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, funny how that goes, isn't it?

My guess is that if you ran Nexus with the same group you did Drak with, it would be easy, too. Group composition (and competence) seems to determine how easy or tough these instances are. I've healed some Nexus runs that were wipefests and others that took about 30-40 minutes with no deaths.

I know it's easy to say, but don't worry too much about folks dying. It happens. If a DPSer dies because they pulled aggro, it's not your healing that's the problem. As a healer, I often remind aggro-hungry DPSers that my main focus has to be the tank (otherwise everyone will die). I'm happy to let them die repeatedly if they're not going to let the tank actually tank. :)

KC said...

Well, both were guild groups and I know that the people in both are good at PVE stuff. I think we were just off on the Nexus run.

Thank you for the advice, though. I will keep that in mind in the future! I think it will be a lot less frustrating if I stop kicking myself every time I lose someone. :-/

Cryptography said...

I agree with Ess.

"If you pull it, you tank it!" is a golden rule for instances.

Sure, things go wrong sometimes that aren't directly the dps's fault but as a general rule, it stands.

As a dps class, I will watch my own threat, being sure not to take over the tank. I will also watch out for the healer and intercept any adds /healing aggro pulls that happen. My death in an instance isnt important, so long as heals and tank survive. (essentially an off-tank role, but in 5-mans you dont always have a spare plate-wearer)